This post has been updated with additional information
Cape Town, South Africa is one of the most renowned destinations for Best Beach Vacations for Families, especially for those who enjoy blue waters and shiny sand beaches.
Welcome to Blue Mountain Beach
Bloubergstrand Beach also known as the Blue Mountain Beach is one of the most family-friendly and secure beaches in Cape Town and is a retreat for adults and children. Walk along the long coastline while getting a clear view of Table Mountain. Make sure you have enough battery backup for your cameras as there will be non-stop photo taking.
- Although it is a well-known tourist spot, it is not very crowded and is ideal for families to spend quality time.
- Alongside the parking area, there are ice-cream, cold drink and pancake stalls along with African vendors selling traditional handicrafts.
- There’s a Cape Town Tourism information center located in the area where the beach ends known as Dolphin beach end.
- The beach consists of public toilets (no shower) and a children’s park equipped with swings and climbing frames and a covered cove for some water splashing. Additionally, there?s a grassed ground for picnics and ball games. All near the tourist information center.
- It’s a popular area for beach surfers, kitesurfing and joggers. Enjoy the low tides as you move along the white sandy coastline.
How to get there?
Bloubergstrand Beach is 32 minutes drive from Cape Town International Airport. If you take a Minivan service it will cost around USD 23 and for a standard class fare such as a Toyota Camry or similar will cost about USD 22.
Accommodation is surprisingly affordable
Shop your heart out
- Bayside Mall is your one-stop for shopping good food under one roof. The mall is home to renowned brands as well as African retailers. You’ll find everything from fashion to perfume and jewelry. Also, chill out in one of many cafes or catch a movie in one of Ster-Kenikor’s cinemas in the center of the food court.
- Next, only 10 minutes drive from the beach is Table Bay Mall which consists of over 150 shops and restaurants. You’ll find labels from around the world for products ranging from fashion to electronics. The mall also has banks, pharmacies and beauty, and hair salons, so there are numerous reasons to be here.
SA cuisine – a treat for meat lovers
Most traditional South African food is based on non-veg recipes like the Babotie, made from spiced minced lamb or beef, Boerewors which is a sausage sandwich served with homemade ketchup, fries and onion rings. To get a taste of such and more local delicacies I’d suggest Golden Bay Spur Steak Ranch. Also, there?s Moyo Blouberg which serves African food with veg options. For Indian or Asian taste, Thali and The Indian Chapter Restaurant are the best places to be. Not to forget, they are also veg-friendly.
Danger Will Robinson!
Although Cape Town is one of the top tourism destinations in the world, it is not completely perfect. Tourists are advised to avoid displaying cash or using expensive cameras or other valuable goods. For first time visitors, It’s best to finish all trips and activities before sunrise so you can get back to your accommodation in good time as gang-related crimes have been reported in certain parts of the city.
Cape Town Beach Vacation is one for the family
Jointly, Cape Town is home to exotic beaches, good food, great shopping and loads of fun. If you haven?t been here yet, aren’t you missing out on all this? If the answer is yes, then it?s time to plan a trip and pack those bags.
Flights to Cape Town: I recommend searching through KAYAK. They are the world’s leading travel search engine. It searches other travel sites to give travelers the information they need to find the right flights, hotels, rental cars, and vacation rentals. The website and apps also offer tools to help plan and manage your trip, including Price Alerts, Price Forecast, and free itinerary management.
Rental Cars in Cape Town: Rentalcars.com is the world’s biggest online car rental service. Working with leading suppliers, they offer great prices on all car groups, including luxury cars, people carriers, minivans,
Travel Insurance: As someone who spent close to 20 years working in insurance, I strongly recommend buying travel insurance if you are going on holiday. It costs a fraction of your holiday but covers the potential risk of the entire holiday. You can read my post on why you need travel insurance.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post.
Let me help you plan your next holiday!
Forget about the stress of travel planning and let Travel Clans create your personalized, perfect travel planner! Find out how you can receive your detailed travel planner in 3 simple steps now!