Mexico has not only graced many action movies but is also a spectacular winter sun holiday destination. Cancun city which borders with the Caribbean Sea is one undiscovered gem and you?ll only agree with me, once I?m done bragging about it. The best time to visit Cancun is from December till April when the hot weather calms down and is perfect for a family vacation.
**This post contains an affiliate link. If you click on the link and purchase something, I may receive a small commission, at no extra cost to you. This helps me to fund my blogging. Full disclosure at the bottom of the page**
The currency is called Mexican Peso (MXN) and it is best to exchange foreign currencies into local as US Dollars, Euros and Sterling Pounds will only be accepted at some tourist areas. For general activities you will need to pay in Pesos. Amount of or equivalent to US $10000 must be declared at the airport.
- A daily budget of US $45 will get:
- A 3 course meal at a mid-range restaurant for 2 people $32
- Meal at a fast food restaurant $5
- Local transport one-way $0.56
- Taxi normal tariff $1.59
- Taxi normal tariff 1 km $1.15
- Cinema ticket (international release) $4
Some of my family friendly picks are the Hyatt Ziva Cancun for $821 per night for a triple room, for complete privacy there?s Horizontes Cancun & Tziara Sky Condon for $90 per night for an apartment and Casa Paraiso for $133 per night for a three-bedroom townhouse, all perfect to accommodate a family of 4.
The cheapest mode of transport in Cancun is a local bus. Alternatively, you can take a taxi or rent a car if you plan to move around a lot or want some privacy, but it isn?t recommended as car rental prices are quite steep for foreign travellers and you might need to pay extra for insurance.
Top things to do in Cancun
- Ventura Park is where you can spend an entire day with family exploring the different activity areas which are Underworld, Grand Prix, Fun World, Wet n Wild, Dolphinaris and Aaaahventura. Activities include various water slides, a water pool, a small roller coaster, zip-lines and go karts. There are separate play areas for small children. An adult (person over 12 years of age) pass costs $850 and pass for minors (children under 12 and over 42 inches tall) and covers Aaaahventura, Wet n Wild and Fun World. An unlimited pass would cost $1,200 per adult and $850 per minor which includes access to all areas except Dolphinaris. Kids under 42 inches of height are granted free entrance. All prices include food and non-alcoholic drinks.
- Soak up some winter sun on Playa Delfines which translates to Dolphin Beach. It?s the perfect family friendly beach to relax and enjoy the calm crystal blue water waves and if you?re lucky you might even get a glimpse of these mesmerizing creatures.
- Hop onto a replicated pirate ship and enjoy a 3 ? hour tour of Jolly Roger Pirate including a dinner and unlimited drinks. Tickets cost $97 per child and adult. Kids under 12 are free to enter. Ship departs from Playa Linda Pier in the Cancun hotel zone at 6:30 pm daily.
- Parque Las Palapas is a great for families to wander around and enjoy a beautiful sunset. This family friendly area has some local food stalls, shops and live musicians performing for the public. Entrance is free for all.
- Las Plazas Outlet mall is an open air discount shopping mall which also includes a cinema, kids area, restaurants and many discount shops to empty pockets.
- Kukulcan Plaza is home to both conventional and high end shopping along with some fine dining options. There are also events and concerts held during different times of the year.
- Foodies wanting to try some local cuisine checkout Restaurante Benazuza and Black Hole. For Asian and veg-friendly options head to Elefanta Indian Cuisine and Taste if India.
>>> Related Post – 7 of the Best Beach Toys
Winter is coming!
?Hola? is how they greet you in enticing Mexico. To be honest, I kind of feel an adrenalin rush whenever I hear the country?s name. And if you don?t want to stay locked up at home because of the carpeting ice outside then waste no time and plan a trip.
If you appreciate my posts, the best way to show your support is by sharing it, leaving a comment below, following along on Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, and Pinterest. Want to give me more than a virtual high-five? Subscribe to my mailing list and make your online purchases using links from my Store.
Thank you for taking the time to read this post.